89 Things We Love About Little Jimmy DickensCelebrating Opry Legend Little Jimmy Dickens' 89th Birthday
In celebration of his 89th birthday Sat., Dec. 19, Jimmy Dickens was presented by his Opry family with a print noting "89 Things We Love About Jimmy Dickens." numbers 1 - 89 are shared below.
1. More than 60 years of making us laugh and clap along at the Grand Ole Opry.
2. Always willing to greet fans…especially the ladies.
3. Great comedic timing as taught by Minnie Pearl.
4. Will wear a lampshade on his head for a laugh.
5. “Shake hands, old man; I married your sister!”
6. His Raggedy Ann doll.
7. “If you don’t swallow those things fast, you’ll get a stiff neck.”
8. Always willing to lend a hand.
9. May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose.
10. “…There goes Mighty Mouse in his pajamas.”
11. “I can not do both.”
12. Always, always dresses the part.
13. “You wanna go to sleep old woman or what?” … “WHAT?”
14. Nicknamed “Tater” by Hank Williams.
15. “…They named him Fertilizer.”
16. Switched blue jeans with Stringbean.
17. His performances for America’s fighting men and women.
18. “The lady who lives here let me sleep with her.”
19. He witnessed Hank Williams’ Opry debut.
20. “Let her search for the needle!”
21. A-Sleeping at the Foot of the Bed.
22. “ROSE! What’s the name of that medicine I’m taking?”
23. He is a friend to country music legends and newcomers alike.
24. Loves his family.
25. Loves his Opry family.
26. “I stood there and took a bow for five minutes.”
27. He mows a mean yard.
28. “Who else would I cheat on?”
29. I Can’t Help It
30. She’ll tell you who you are.”
31. “That worked out pretty good ‘til the mud fell off.”
32. Great guitar tricks as the curtain is going down.
33. His pacemaker makes the garage door go up.
34. “Is there anything else I can do while I’m down here?”
35. Out Behind the Barn.
36. “She always finds her way home.”
37. He’s not afraid to wear pink.
38. He uses only the finest toilet water.
39. Country Boy.
40. “You’d better run, you idiot. We’re brothers!”
41. He’s a bridge between country’s past and present.
42. Chicks dig rhinestones.
43. He’s the same offstage as he is in the spotlight.
44. Salty Boogie.
45. Those awesome alligator boots he got after his wife’s “facelift.”
46. He is the Opry’s greatest treasure.
47. He’s never forgotten from whence he came: Bolt, West Virginia
48. “The lid fell down and hit me.”
49. Take an Old Cold Tater.
50. Great fishing stories.
51. His way with the ladies.
52. his band, The Country Boys.
53. He told his doctor what he could do with his high fiber diet.
54. The Violet and a Rose
55. The strongest work ethic in country music.
56. First country artist to circle the globe on tour.
57. He’ll sit on your dresser himself, ladies.
58. Award-worthy acting in Brad Paisley videos.
59. Has been willing to dress like a leprechaun, a New Year’s baby, and Boss Hogg … depending upon the occasion.
60. A Country Music Hall of Famer since 1983.
61. Twice entertained troops in Vietnam.
62. (I Got) A Hole in my Pocket.
63. He just looks like he’s hard to get. –He can be had.
64. He’s Willie Nelson after taxes.
65. He knocked ‘em dead at Carnegie Hall.
66. He loves his wife, “wherever she may be.”
67. He’s little, but he’s loud.
68. “Get it over with, Shorty! I’m the janitor and I’d like to go home.”
69. You never know what suit he will wear on any given night.
70. Life Turned Her That Way.
71. Mixed up coats with Porter Wagoner.
72. Mountain Dew.
73. He refers to people with “yes, sir” and “yes, ma’am.”
74. “Well, your eyesight is perfect.”
75. Climbed a step ladder to look Trace Adkins in the eye.
76. Just When I Needed You.
77. Keeps good buddies Vince Gill, Brad Paisley, etc. in line.
78. Awesome Opry belt buckle
79. “Thanks, Doc! Now I know what I did with my hearing aid.”
80. The biggest star on the Opry.
81. Hillbilly Fever.
82. Not afraid to say what he thinks.
83. The way he refers to his notes (You will, too, when you’re 89.)
84. The oldest of 13 children.
85. Had to sleep at the foot of the bed.
86. Willing to imitate rude rapper, Kanye West, on stage at the CMA Awards.
87. George Jones wants to be Like the Dickens.
88. His beautiful wife, Mona.
89. He is country music royalty.
Happy 89th Birthday Jimmy!
From your family at the Grand Ole Opry