By April Hyde, Opry Promotion Coordinator. April Hyde handles promotions for the Opry and attends countless Opry performances each year.
No matter how many times I see Opry shows, one of my favorite parts is always hearing Jimmy Dickens share some (or almost all, depending on the night) of his repertoire of jokes and comedy. The Hall of Famer credits his comedic timing to lessons learned from the Queen of Country Comedy, Minnie Pearl. It was tough to narrow it down to just 10, but these are my Top 10 favorite Jimmy Dickens punch lines. Visit the Opry soon to get the whole Enchilada. You’ll get a great laugh out of Jimmy, just as I do every time I am honored to watch him on stage.
10. “Lord, have mercy, John. There goes Mighty Mouse in his pajamas!”
9. “I cannot do both.”
8. “Daddy’s name was Ferdinand, Mommy’s name was Lizer, so they named him Fertilizer.”
7. “Shake hands, old man, I married your sister!”
6. “You’d better run, idiot, we’re brothers!”
5. “Rose! What’s the name of that medicine I’m takin’?!”
4. “No, but if you’ll go up to the front desk and ask the nurse she’ll tell you who you are.”
3. “That all depends. The lady that lives here lets me sleep with her.”
2. “Get it over with, Shorty. I’m the janitor and I’d like to go home.”
1. “Now I know what I did with my hearing aid!”